Eating more raw foods can greatly benefit your digestion and gut health. Raw foods are packed with fiber, enzymes, and probiotics that support healthy digestion.
In this post, we’ll cover the top 10 raw foods to add to your diet for optimal digestive health.
- Chia seeds – Chia seeds are high in fiber which bulks up stool and promotes regularity. Be sure to soak chia seeds first overnight with sufficient amounts of water to avoid constipation. I do 2 tablespoons of chia seeds in 1.5 cups of water. Otherwise, I get stomach pain and other folks have experienced painful constipation from not soaking them as well. This is important because a lot of recipe books seem to not mention this. Chia seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are great for the brain and hormone health. Add them to smoothies.
- Leafy greens – Kale, spinach, arugula are high in magnesium to stimulate bowel muscles. They also provide a great source of fiber. Try raw spinach salads with avocado or lemon dressing for delicious ways to eat more greens. My fave green is kale so that is the base of my lunch/dinner meals almost daily.
- Berries – Berries like blueberries and raspberries contain antioxidants that aid digestion. They also promote bowel regularity. Add them to smoothies, chia puddings or enjoy as a snack.
- Kiwi – Kiwi has an enzyme called actinidin that helps digest proteins. The nutrients in kiwi support the digestive process.
- Apples – The pectin in apples increases stool bulk and motility. Be sure to eat apples with the skin on for maximum fiber.
- Papaya – Papaya contains the enzyme papain which helps digest proteins. This tropical fruit aids digestion.
- Avocado – Besides healthy fats, avocados offer soluble fiber to stabilize blood sugar and improve digestion. Avocado is delicious paired with greens or in guacamole.
- Bananas – Bananas help normalize bowel function, especially diarrhea due to their pectin content. Enjoy bananas as a snack or added to smoothies.
- Fermented foods – Sauerkraut, kimchi, miso and kefir provide probiotics to balance gut bacteria and facilitate digestion. Aim for a small serving of fermented food daily.
- Flaxseeds – Flaxseeds provide both soluble and insoluble fiber to aid digestion and bowel regularity. They also offer omega-3 fats. Add 2 Tbsp per day to smoothies or oatmeal.
Focusing on more raw fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds can do wonders for improving digestive health. Try incorporating more of these beneficial raw foods into your meals and snacks. Let me know in the comments which of these top 10 raw foods are your favorites!