Increase your energy levels before you start exercising with a pre-workout snack. Depending on the type of exercise you intend to do, certain foods are more effective at providing the required fuel. The more strenuous the workout, the more carbs and protein you want to consume beforehand.
Eat a snack 1-2 hours before your workout. This will provide much needed fuel without weighing you down. Here are some pre-workout snack suggestions:
- nuts, dried berries or dried fruits, like dates
- A small bowl of trail mix
- a green smoothie or a bowl of fresh fruit
- Apple wedges with Almond butter
- Fruit and nut bar (if you are buying this, always read ingredients to ensure no dairy, eggs or crazy ingredients you don’t understand are included in the recipe)
All of these snacks are easy to make and very effective. Maybe your workout involves dancing to your favorite song, going for a jog, lifting weights or planking. Whatever your choice of exercise, you will be fueled and ready.
As always, in the meal plans, there are snacks for the day which are usually fruits. The list above are other options that are specifically tailored to giving you the required energy for an intense workout.