“The life of inner peace, being harmonious and without stress, is the easiest type of existence.” ~ Norman Vinent Peale
We all deal with stress to varying degrees and this can really work against weight-loss goals and cause cardiovascular disease if it is not mitigated. I too get stressed out from time to time with project overload or just general life issues. These are some techniques I use to relax my mind:
- I workout to fun music and then take a hot shower.
- I lay down in bed with the lights off and diffuse essential oils. My favorites are eucalyptus, lavender, and tea tree.
- I watch a good movie or show on Netflix. Right now, my favorites are Scandal, Game of Thrones, and True Blood.
- I play games on my tablet and phone. My favorite game right now is Covet which is a fashion game. It is not stressful like the games that are time sensitive. It’s fun and it relaxes my mind like all the other aforementioned activities.
- I put whatever is stressing me out on paper in my journal to release its hold on my brain. If it calls for it, I put a plan of action into place and write it down or I just vent in my journal. It is pretty funny to go back and read some old entries of things I thought were serious back then that now I would not lose sleep over.
Make a list of the things you enjoy that allow your mind to escape for a while. Utilize that lists every time you feel stressed out. Remember, that this stress is just temporary. Like Maya Angelou once said, “You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them”. It is good to be reminded of this.