I promote a plant-based diet free of meat and dairy primarily because I feel that’s the healthiest and most sustainable diet for people. This diet can make a huge impact on your health if you’re overweight or have a gastro-intestinal issue. Meat and dairy are full of saturated fat and disrupt hormones in the body. They are a major cause of heart disease and diabetes, and they irritate the intestinal lining, which can lead to leaky gut, gastrointestinal diseases, and a weakened immune system.
Beyond health though, this way of eating is more affordable, better for the environment, and better for our own karmic energy since we’re not participating in the torture of animals. There are so many reasons to go vegan so I’m not surprised that there are more and more people who are giving it a try.
If you’re trying to go vegan and you’re having some difficulty with consistency, here are some strategies to consider:
1. Don’t buy meat and dairy. If you don’t buy it, it won’t be in the house to consume.
2. If you have to have a dish that is usually made with dairy, get a vegan alternative. There are nut milks, vegan cheeses, vegan sour creams, vegan ice cream, vegan butters, etc. on the market these days. If you can’t find it in your local store, try a health food store or your closest Whole Foods. Eat those like special treats, not like a regular thing. This will keep food cost down and your overall diet as healthy as possible. Same goes for meat dishes. There are faux meats out there. They were never my favorite but many people do like them so you can experiment with them.
3. Focus on all the foods you can consume that are not meat and dairy. I made a shopping list just for you to get you started. You can use it to plan your meals.
5. Season your food really well. I did a video on all the spices in my cabinet:
7. If going cold-turkey vegan is too much right now, try starting with just breakfast. Then when you’re ready, venture into no meat/dairy until dinner. You decide what you can handle and when. Making gradual changes may be more sustainable for you and sustainability is what we’re after for long term success and a healthy body and mind.
8. Snack clean. Here’s a snack list that should help with your transition. Feel free to add to it some other foods you discover that are meat and dairy free.